Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm So Confused

If you're anything like me, your thoughts and ideas come at you in random, chaotic pieces and usually at inopportune times. When I'm in the process of writing a play, I think about it constantly. "I need more action there... How should that character react here?... Does this turn interfere with prior scenes?...‘Gunk' would make a great last name!" With all of these random thoughts flashing, I've found that if I don't have a way of quickly capturing and organizing these ideas, they may be lost forever. There's no worse feeling than realizing that some great idea you had in the shower - the one you knew you'd never forget - somehow went down the drain, gone forever.

I've tried a couple of different organizational systems over the years and many of them have served me well. There are great software programs designed to help writers organize their thought and I've used many of them. However, my current system is simple, easy, quick, and is automatically shared across all of my devices (Mac, PC, iPad, and iPhone).

It starts with a simple Word document. I give it a title like "Master Show Ideas". On the first page, I type the following labels each on it's own line, separated by a line space, as follows:

SHOW TYPE

PLOT

CHARACTERS

SCENES

LINES

TWISTS

GAGS

RESEARCH

SHOW TYPE

PLOT

CHARACTERS

SCENES

LINES

TWISTS

GAGS

RESEARCH

(Your labels may vary.)

If you look carefully, this is the same list of eight labels twice.  Why?  Well, keep reading my patient friend...

Now, starting with the second "SHOW TYPE" label, I put my cursor in front of the label and insert a Page Break. Now the second set of labels all appear on page 2.  I continue that same way - inserting Page Breaks in front of each remaining seven labels until I have a label on each page.  When I'm done with this process, I have a 9-page document.  Page 1 has all of the labels, followed by pages 2 through 9 all with one label at the top of each page.  Phew.  These page breaks ensure that no matter what content I add to whatever page, the labels are always at the top of a new page.

Now for the fun part. Later on, after I've added tons of ideas to this document and it becomes a 20 or 30 (or more) page document, I'll want a way to quickly maneuver around from section to section. Enter Bookmarks and Hyperlinks. These two magical functions allow me to click on one of the Labels on page 1 - for example: "Gags", and I'm instantly transported to my "Gags" page which, after I've added hundreds of notes, might be located all the way down on page 27.

To make this happen, I go to page 2 and highlight "STORY TYPE". I then turn those words into a Bookmark by selecting Insert, Bookmark. This brings up a dialog box asking for a Bookmark Name. I type in "STORY TYPE" (duh, Microsoft) and click the Add button.  Continue doing this with "PLOT" on page 3, "CHARACTERS" on page 4, etc.  Once all of your remaining labels are Bookmarked, you're now half-way done.  Press on.. it's worth it!

Next, you need to make the labels on page 1 "Hyperlinks", so that when you click on them you'll be instantly transported to the page you want.  To do this, go to page 1 and highlight "SHOW TYPE".  This time, you'll click Insert, Hyperlink.  This will bring up the Insert Hyperlink dialog box.  On the left side of the dialog box there are "Link To" icons.  Click on the "Place in This Document" icon.  Now you'll see list of the Bookmarks you previously created.  Click on the "SHOW TYPE" bookmark, then click OK.  You'll see that "SHOW TYPE" is now underlined indicating that it have been changed into a Hyperlink.  Go on... I dare you.... give it a click.  (You may need to hold your control button down when you click it.)  Poof.  You're now looking at the "SHOW TYPE" page!  In this same way, continue turning each of the labels on page 1 into hyperlinks.  When you're done, pat yourself on the back - great job!

Now, whenever you have an idea, bring up your nifty "Master Show Ideas" document, click the section that makes sense, and log your idea.  In no time at all, you'll have all of your show ideas neatly saved and categorized.  When you begin structuring your story and writing scenes, you'll wonder how you ever survived with this tool.  You'll find yourself going back to it again and again.  

But... what if you use more than one PC, an iPhone, and maybe even an iPad?  More on this soon...

Happy writing!
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment