Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I like gadgets.  I really need to be able to update my show files whenever I need to, wherever I am.  I use a MacBook Pro, a Dell laptop, an iPhone and an iPad.  My goal is to be able to use any one of these tools to get to and update my show files.  That means I need to store my show files online, and the best service I've found is free - and it called Dropbox (dropbox.com).  Dropbox allows you to store your files online and retrieve them from any gadget that has Internet access.

Follow the instructions to install Dropbox onto your computer.  It will give you an opportunity to put the Dropbox icon where you want it - I chose to put in on my desktop.  Now, install Dropbox onto your second computer.   Once you've done that, any file you drag onto the Dropbox icon will also appear on your second computer once you click it's Dropbox icon.  Nice.

Dropbox has apps for the iPhone and iPad.  Install those, and now you'll see the same files on those gadgets too.

For the iPhone and iPad, you'll need software that will allow you to make changes to the documents you've saved in Dropbox.  I use "Documents To Go".  It costs money, but it's worth it to me to be able to update my documents where ever I go, no matter what gadget I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment